Skip to main content

Two Female Terrorists Bomb Kano On Eid el Fitri Day




Two female suicide bombers struck in different parts of Kano on Monday, killing   and injuring many on a day Muslim faithful thronged the prayer grounds in the city to observe the Eid-el-Fitri.
The first attack took place at about 10am on a Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Mega station   at Hotoro Quarters along Maiduguri Road. The second was at about 1.40pm at the Trade Fair Complex entrance on Zoo Road.
But there were conflicting figures on the numbers of the killed and injured.
Only on Sunday, a bomber hurled explosives at worshippers in a Catholic church in the city, killing five and wounding eight. The same day,   a 15-year-old female suicide bomber killed herself while trying to target some police officers.
There have been no claims of responsibility for any of the blasts, but fingers point at the militant   Islamist group, Boko Haram.
A resident, Tijjani Isa, told the Associated Press that the first bomber was standing in line with many women   buying kerosene   before she set off the bomb.
Another resident was quoted by the Agence France Presse as saying that the “female bomber who was milling in the crowd set off explosives concealed under her dress.”
The resident, Habibu Ali, added that “several people, mostly women, were killed.”
Ali’s account, according to the AFP, was supported by another resident, Shehu Mudi, who said that many were killed.
But the   state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adelenre Shinaba, told journalists that doctors at the Murtala Muhammad Hospital confirmed the death of three, out of the 10 people evacuated from the scene.
He added that the impact of the blast caused partial damage to the canopy of the kerosene section of the mega station.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, however said   in a statement that four people, including the bomber, died while eight were injured in the mega station attack.
Mba said, “The suicide bomber and three others have been confirmed dead, eight persons were injured and rushed to the hospital.
“It is instructive to note that the mega station did not go ablaze due to the security barricade put in place by the policemen on duty at the station.
“Security forces have cordoned off the scene and police bomb disposal experts are sweeping the area.”
He added that investigation into the incident had begun, while security operatives had intensified patrol of the city.
The second blast occurred when the female suicide bomber   aged about 19,   blew up herself and injured six others, including two policemen at the entrance gate of the Kano Trade Fair Complex near Shoprite.
The state Police command spokesman, Magaji Majia, told journalists that   security operatives had stopped the suspect for screening when the IEDs hidden under her dress went off.
Majia said the policemen had been treated and discharged, while the remaining four persons are still in hospital.
He said the mangled body of the female suicide bomber was recovered and deposited at an undisclosed government hospital.
The police added that investigations had commenced with a view to unravelling those behind the renewed attacks on the city.
Meanwhile, there was heavy traffic in Kugbo, Nyanya and Karua on the Abuja-Keffi Road on Monday due to   roadblocks set up by soldiers.
Residents going to amusement parks in the Federal Capital Territory to enjoy Monday which was a public holiday were stranded for many hours.
Also,   presence of armed soldiers was observed   at the AYA, Central Area and the Eagle Square.
Copyright PUNCH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Support For GEJ: C C Okirie Commends PDP In Rivers State

A frontline politician in Rivers State Chief Chukwuma Chinwa Oikrie has commended the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party in Rivers state under the leadership of Bro. Felix Obuah (Go Round) for the support the party has given to President Goodluck Jonathan’s second term bid. Chief Okirie made this known at Omoku Town the headquarters of Ogba/ Egbema / Ndoni local government area over the weekend when the Party opened the Campaign Office of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in the LGA. While thanking the state Chairman for his support, Chief Okirie stated that with the support the President has received from the party in the state, there was even no need for him to come and campaign personally.   “With the tremendous support the people of the state have accorded the President, I think he should go and rest. It is even immaterial if he comes to campaign personally because the people of the state are behind him. We will give him the traditional 100% votes we have alway...

DEFECTIONS: Why Saraki, Dogara Others Must Heed Sen. Ibrahim's Call by Comrade Nwokoma Ndubuisi M.

The gale of defections in the National Assembly last week was followed by an advice from no one else than Sen. Abu Ibrahim that the Senate President Dr. Bukola Saraki as well as the Speaker of the House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara and others in the fold of the All Progressives Congress APC that are still masquerading in the party should resign their membership of the party. This call which also implies that they resign their positions as leaders of the various arms of the National Assembly is yet to be complied with by those concerned as at the time of writing this piece Whatever their reasons for still staying put in the party may be, the fact of the matter is that their continued stay in the party has become a sore which must be extricated from the body.  As I watched through the proceedings of the defections on national television, I wept for the country for producing such leaders that lack morality despite all the party has given them politically which they ordin...

“Stop Harassing Atiku’s Business Interests”- CC Okirie

A Port Harcourt based businessman and politician Chief Chukwuma C. Okirie has called on the Federal Government of Nigeria not to use or allow any of its agencies, parastatals or departments to be used in intimidating or harassing any business interest (s) of former vice President Alhaji Abubakar Atiku. Chief CC Okirie who is also the National Coordinator of  Project AA a socio political group with wide follower-ship across the country said the former vice president of the country has sacrificed so much for democracy in the country and should not be subjected to any form of harassment due to his political ideology or aspiration. Chief Okirie who briefed newsmen during the meet the media chat with newsmen on the activities of his group PROJECT AA said it was high time Nigerians are allowed to speak their minds or aspire for any position of their choice without being witch hunted by authourities.  He lamented that some people who believe they have some people in particular...